He's Here!!!!

It was Sunday August 7th. I was 41 weeks pregnant and ready to have this baby. Our bags were packed and our car seat was ready. Babysitting arrangements were all prepared for Brickly. At 3:30 pm we finally received the phone call we had been waiting for from the hospital. "Can you guys make it here by 4?" You bet we could, we had been ready for this moment for weeks.





After we got to the hospital my nurse explained that because I was only dilated to a 1, if they gave me pitocin right away I would most likely end up having a c-section. So the doctor wanted to first insert a tablet that would soften my cervix before giving me the pitocin. They were planning on doing the tablet three times, four hours apart and then after that they would start the pitocin around 5 am the next morning. Well right after they inserted the first tablet at 5 pm I started having very regular contractions that got progressively stronger and more painful.

After a little while the baby's heart rate started dropping very low which got all of us worried. The nurse said if his heart rate didn't stabilize then they would have to do an emergency c-section. Luckily his heart rate did eventually stabilize. They checked me again and said that I had progressed to 4 cm. At this point I was in a lot of pain with each contraction. They said because I had progressed so much I would not need any of the other doses of the tablets or the pitocin. Things were going a lot faster than expected.

By 11:30 pm I finally asked for the epidural which made the whole labor process a lot more enjoyable. Right after getting the epidural the nurse checked my progress again and surprised us all when she said I had already dilated to a 10 and was ready to push.





The epidural was so strong that I couldn't even feel my contractions to know when to push. So the nurse had Ryan tell me when they were and had him count during each contraction. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was on tv and in between pushing I would answer the questions. I was surprised by how great and pain free I felt. After pushing for only about 40 minutes the doctor came in and about 10 minutes later Jaxton Lathen Ossmen entered this world.


Jaxton Lathen Ossmen

Born August 8th, 2011 at 1:16 am

6 lbs 13 oz, 19 inches














This is right after we got home and the first time Brickly met Jax


1 comment:

Janna said...

What a great post!!! I'm so excited to see more of this beautiful guy and here how it's all going. Loves to the baby.